After Megan moved out, we thought about how we might rearrange our space to utilize it better. My sewing room is currently in the open space in the basement and Lila was upstairs close to Thom and I. Megan's room, the guest bedroom, is downstairs next to River, so we decided to move Lila down there to be close to her brother. Then we can move my sewing space upstairs to Lila's old room, and open up the old sewing space as a playroom for the kids. That way I get a space to work in with a door that closes, the kids have a much larger space to play in, and no rooms are unused.
Last week we worked on the first part of the change: moving Lila downstairs. It was a slow process, but it's turned out pretty nice. We touched up the old lavender paint on the walls and painted the white bricks chartreuse. I added some huge leaves to the walls to complete the garden theme already in place with flower and bug decals on the walls.
So step one is done. Next I need to do some work on Lila's old room. I've removed the decals from the walls and it needs a fresh coat of paint. I'll add some shelving to the closet then move my sewing table and accessories in. We'll get a couch with a pull-out bed and use it as a guest room when needed. Much better use of space than keeping a queen size bed in an unused room.
We already have some fun ideas for the playroom and I'm pretty excited for the kids to have a designated play space. When we moved into this house I always imagined downstairs as the kids' den and we're definitely making strides in that direction.
How to Turn IKEA Bookshelves into CUSTOM BUILT-INS
19 hours ago